Thursday, July 30, 2015

Surrender…. An Untapped Truth

by Jodi Sell

(Image via Shutterstock.)  
I absolutely love investigating words and discovering applications for them.  The word "surrender" has been my summer experiment and I have enjoyed the challenge of deciphering how I can put it into action in my everyday life.  Through my investigation I have uncovered a profound truth about myself and the choices I get to make every moment of the day.

My journey began in June with a focus on intentional mindfulness.  This term, mindfulness, meant that I was consciously focused on how I chose to use my energy, view my every day experiences, and what I chose to take into my body.  As June progressed and July started to approach I noticed that a shift began to occur in my thinking.  I began to experience periods of uncomfortableness…the best way to describe it would be doubt, worriedness, and lack of self-confidence.  I know everyone experiences this at some point in their day and I, for one, do NOT like those feelings or thoughts. So, I began to take note of when these feelings or thoughts would arise. I found that at times when there were many opportunities in front of me or times of quiet, these uncomfortable thoughts or feelings would ‘pop’ up.  I had become confident with my growth in mindfulness and was quite shocked that I was experiencing these ‘bouts’ of self-doubt.  In fact, I was irritated because these feelings or thoughts would throw off my rhythm or flow.  This led to the next level of investigation…a deeper search of the ‘missing piece’ of mindfulness.

What I discovered was a profound truth in the choices I make every day.  When faced with uncomfortable situations or exciting new adventures or even a common everyday task…will I choose to focus on the little details or will I choose to ‘let go’….release…surrender?  Do the little details matter?  Do the BIG pieces matter?  Do I have to know the outcome or what lies ahead?  These are all questions that I get to choose to answer or let go. 

Here is a great example:  my alarm goes off for my morning wellness and fitness routine….I hit the snooze and immediately fall back to sleep.  I miraculously wake up thirty minutes later, get myself ready and do a shorter version of my morning routine.  At some point in the middle of the day I begin to have thoughts like “you didn’t spend enough time reading” or “you should have exercised for ten more minutes.” In those moments, I get to choose to dwell on those thoughts and allow them to close in on me and begin to feel self-doubt or possibly even frustration. Or I can let them go and trust that my body was telling me I needed a few more minutes of rest. Sometimes surrendering those thoughts can be difficult.  In fact, it became increasingly difficult for me during my investigation.  I had an amazing insight one evening on how I can quickly surrender or let go and move forward.  I created a three minute or less breathing and self-talk exercise that works great for me to move quickly to surrender, I call it Connecting to My Truth or Connecting to Spirit:
  1. Close your eyes and inhale deeply counting to 3
  2. Exhale focusing on the release of your breath
  3. Inhale deeply focusing on your intake – trust, have faith – counting to 5
    • Feel your breath reaching all the way to your heart
  4. Exhale slowly, breathing out your truth and faith
  5. Inhale even deeper – feel the inhale reaching and encompassing your heart – counting to 5
  6. Exhale slowly, breathing out your truth and feel it completely surrounding you
I found this exercise to be extremely beneficial because I can immediately connect with my truth and move instead of being stuck.  Choosing to let go of those thoughts and feelings provides a great opportunity to focus my energy where it will be most productive for me.

The untapped truth that I uncovered is simply knowing that mindfulness involves the choice to surrender. Each day I have the amazing opportunity to choose.  It’s a mindful choice…ultimately the best choice…my FREEING choice…to surrender and trust, have faith, and know that my true leader will always lead me in the direction I am to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment