Monday, December 9, 2013

Cynicism vs. Skepticism: It’s about Discernment


by Zach Shelley

It has recently been communicated to me that I, in some circumstances, act like a cynic.  I have also been called pessimistic.  Although I initially thought that this was just so those other people could feel better about themselves, it did force to reflect on myself.  [ Enter sly grin. ]  If our perceptions filter and set our realities these assessments could mean that I am coloring my world in a very dark way.  In my defense I would assert that I am not a cynic, but a realist.  To some extent, I might also self-diagnose myself as an idealist or critically minded.  To this, I asked, “What aspects of my life have attracted such labels?”

I believe in planning for worst case scenarios, preparing plan B’s, and assuming that whatever project I am working on will be more difficult than originally expected and most likely take 10-25% longer than I initially hoped that it does.  I count on the fact that when working with a team of people, regardless of specific or preset standards, there will be some role sharing throughout the team to help everyone, including myself.  I do make assumptions based on individual actions about their motivations, but try to study every side of a given perspective before settling on an assessment. 

I would submit that these actions are discerning rather than cynical.  Planning and at times assuming for worst case scenarios is not always clouded in negativity.  The way I communicate these philosophies may be a greater part of the problem than my actual ideology.  Cynicism can often hide behind designations such as realist, careful, or mistrusting.  Those of us who are more “careful” may be projecting a very different persona than we realize.

Dictionary.com gives a fairly dark definition of cynics:
Cynic – A person who believes that only selfishness motivates human actions and who disbelieves in or minimizes selfless acts or disinterested points of view.

Based on this definition, I want to exemplify the opposite of such a person.  If we look at the definition of cynical, we have a slightly different set of interpretations:
  1. Distrusting or disparaging the motives of others; like or characteristic of a cynic.
  2. Showing contempt for accepted standards of honesty or morality by one's actions, especially by actions that exploit the scruples of others.
  3. Bitterly or sneeringly distrustful, contemptuous, or pessimistic.
These definitions are broader in their applications, but no less dark. 

For those of us labeled cynics, what can we derive from such designations?  It is a dangerous and unflattering title to be sure.  It is something I neither want to exemplify or give any credence to.  I believe in the power of words as well as well-defined definitions and vocabulary.  Communication can be a difficult process at the best of times.  There is no need to muddy the waters further with inappropriate labels, definitions, or assumptions.

That being said, we must take a deep look into what we are communicating.  We may be projecting a façade or ideology that precipitates labels such as “cynic” rather than “preparedness” or “problem-solving.”  When “cynics” are exercising their reasoning skills to eliminate outcomes, barriers, or assess future consequences, it can sometimes be difficult to understand what they are really trying to do.  I would argue that what they are really attempting is to discern appropriate responses and eventualities. 

Discernment is not a negative activity.  It can be the founding aspect of virtuosity and wisdom.  It can allow for the making of right decisions and the avoidance of undue or unnecessary outcomes.  Discernment allows for sober-minded and informed responses to circumstances both inside and outside of us.

The challenge is to communicate discernment and earnest assessment without spreading damaging qualities.

Wednesday, we will look at specific questions we can ask ourselves, our associates, and friends to help gather the information we require while maintaining a high level of discernment and problem solving. 

References
Cynic [Def. 1]. (n.d.). In Dictionary.com, Retrieved from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cynic?s=t
Cynical [Def. 1-3]. (n.d.). In Dictionary.com, Retrieved from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cynical?s=t

No comments:

Post a Comment